Monday, May 31, 2010

Implicit and explicit racism

When first reading the first picture shown I didn't see anything wrong with saying 'looting' but after reading the 2nd picture listed I was offended just reading it. It sounded so wrong labeling a black person as 'looting' and a white person as 'finding'. However on the 2nd picture, though I completely see the relatively, I'm less offended. I would hope they would pose a white basketball player as the same way just because they want the basketball player to look menacing (though that's a sterotype men were thrown into) and not just because it's a black basketball player. I found it even more interesting (after watching the video clip) that children so young were choosing the black doll as the "bad doll" and the white doll as the "nice doll". That just completely shocked me. So much so that the video seemed boring in comparison to that last part because I actually sat up seeing such a thing. 15 of 21 perferred the white over the black and being honest, I probably would've too. I've never had a black baby doll or anything like that because barbies and most common dolls were always white in my life. I don't think I ever even had a friend growing up that had a black baby doll toy, polly pocket, barbie doll whatever and I didn't even think about it till right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment